Wednesday 14 September 2011

Running for Office or Running from the Office ...whichever.

So I am letting the cat more or less out of the bag, not that it was truly in...anyway. I will be running for village council. Assuming someone chooses to nominate me, of course. ;) What difference do I think I'll make? I truly have no idea. I am a busy person who already sits on a number of boards and manages a small fuel agency so I am not entirely sure how I am going to fit this in. I do have a fairly flexible schedule and with my children off to college and the city, I will need a new focus other than work, one that encompasses more than a monthly/bi-monthly meeting and that serves the public interest. I would like to feel that I might make a difference.  I would, at least, like to try. I hope to initiate and/or influence actions that may lead to greater accountability. I am honest to a fault and think that transparency particularly inside agencies that serve the public interest is of utmost importance. I think I can ask important questions such as when the village comes up with a design for, say, an airport terminal, I would like to know...

-how we arrived at this particular design
-what other design options were investigated
-what has the success rate for said designer/engineer's other projects been
-why do we continue to use someone who has a questionable track record
-how much time (cost to VOM in wages) has been spent thus far (4 years worth??)
-how might this compare to going elsewhere for design options.

I am sure I can think of a few, possibly more important,questions.

I like to think that I might  also have some ideas to offer in the way of economic development and sustainability. Those two need to go together, sustainability is often the missing piece. This is the question we must ask regarding the development of a much needed recreational center.  Yes we need one, most definitely we want one...is it sustainable? How can we make one that is sustainable? How do we sustain a facility when we do not have the necessary population base? What other options are there to fill the need for recreational facilities? How do we get the necessary population base? We need economic development to create sustainable jobs that will encourage people to stay and encourage people to move here or move back here. Without the foundation to support a facility we can not reasonably expect to build one. Not case closed, but rather, a clear idea of where we need to start, what we need to do first.

I know the issues are many, so are the ideas and the questions. I am not suggesting I have the answers but I want to have the conversations and I think, for various reasons (apathy, feeling of being powerless, etc.), the motivation to have these conversations has been minimal. We need to ask questions, inquire, insist on accountability and transparency, show up to public meetings, make our voices heard. So here is me, I want to be your voice, ask your questions, and represent you in the council chambers.


No comments:

Post a Comment